Upgrading to a new template

Rate this topic: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.1.00 out of 6 based on 1 vote(s)
GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 am
Report this post
My site is currently running The World News Gavik template and want to upgrade to the The News. I want to use the same database, etc. I just want to be able to add the template in a way that will allow me to switch everything over in the least complicated way possible.

Any suggestions/warnings/hints?
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 am
Report this post
What is your Joomla! version now ? If 2.5 you just need to install another template and then remove the old one or duplicate your installation.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm
Report this post
bkrztuk wrote:What is your Joomla! version now ? If 2.5 you just need to install another template and then remove the old one or duplicate your installation.

I'm running 2.5.9 now. I'm guessing I was confused because I knew how to do an install using the quickinstall method (which is how I set this up initially). I just wanted sure how to just install the template with the files I downloaded. I'll do some reading up and see if I can figure it out.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am
Report this post
You just need to download clean template not quickstart version, connect via FTP and overwrite template directory in root/templates - that's all.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 am
Report this post
bkrztuk wrote:You just need to download clean template not quickstart version, connect via FTP and overwrite template directory in root/templates - that's all.

I have a couple of questions, which I'm sure are pretty dumb. But while I have a lot of tech skills, Joomla is not one of them.

So where do I find the "Clean" template to download? I see the link for the quickstart package and the additional files, but that's it.

Also, my current roots/template has a number of folders with diff template names, all that can be accessed through the administrator interface. I'm guessing I don't want to get rid of all of these, but from what I can tell simply putting the files in that folder won't be enough for me to be able to switch templates through template manager.

Thanks!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm
Report this post
Hi, On this page : https://www.gavick.com/download/joomla- ... /news.html
you have options to download : quickstart or just template.
gav.png

From Joomla Extension Manager -> Manage (TAB) you can uninstall all unnecessary templates, as indeed is recommended. Although I leave only one from the defaults for testing purposes.
Of course you can always delete them using FTP client, it's your choice.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:33 pm
Report this post
pfrankowski wrote:Hi, On this page : https://www.gavick.com/download/joomla- ... /news.html
you have options to download : quickstart or just template.
gav.png

From Joomla Extension Manager -> Manage (TAB) you can uninstall all unnecessary templates, as indeed is recommended. Although I leave only one from the defaults for testing purposes.
Of course you can always delete them using FTP client, it's your choice.

Thanks for the help. I was able to find the template and install it.

But I'm guessing there are some additional components I need to install as well to make the template work correctly, since things have been updated since I installed the News II template. At least, the site certainly doesn't look right at this point. Is there a list somewhere of what I need?
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 pm
Report this post
You can also update our extensions so News Show Pro GK4 and Image Show GK4, all that you need is to download packages and install via Extension Manager without uninstalling the old versions.
Platinum Boarder