July Template

Feel free to talk about everything related to our Joomla Products
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 am
Agreed.

HTML/CSS is Web Design 101. It's where you start. PHP and Java are the next step up, but with CMS extensibility, you can leave most of the work to the script writers. CMS's from the design perspective, can be done with only HTML/CSS. Joomla is more complex than most. You find WYSIWYG editors don't do as much for you in tableless designs, leaving you to most of it the old fashioned way with Notepad++.

So here's some advice... before taking on 'clients', learn these things.

A good start: Get Firebug, Measure-It, and Color Picker add-ons for Firefox. Especially Firebug.

This will tell you the name of each CSS Style and what document it is contained within.

Next, like Rhanston says, watch YouTube Tutorials and ask for help. I still have to ask for help when I come up against something I've never done before (ie handheld.css for JomSocial).
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:55 am
Maybe talk too much will be think of complaint.so ridiculous...
I can revise CSS by myself also.But,why do I talk so much?I hope GK can make better than ever.Isn't it?
All voices will come back to the start point if everyone persist his view of point.Nobody is right or wrong.

Actually,GK has no need to improve about templates because of designer has his own persistance.All demand will be a kind of complaint not an idea to improve what GK can do better.We just can accept what GK provide to us the simple base.Otherwise,its because of all we want anything.

Thank you so much GK.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:25 pm
Guys thanks for providing your experiences of being a Gavick club member.

I am a member of other template providers and what is mentioned on this forum I see over and over again.

"No one can please everyone" - thats my motto.

Suggestions and contructive feedback helps us to improve of what we offer. However as I mentioned before a template is a starting point for your project to change and customise and we cannot create a template that is perfect for 4000 clients to use. If we did, well that would make us the only template provider that works for everyone and we would be 'super' human, but we are not.

With regards to the administration area of the template where you can change the CSS colours all in one place is a great feature and this will be passed onto the development team for consideration to implement in future templates. (This is not a promise that this is going to happen but this is something for the developers to consider).

I will keep this thread open only on a condition that members stop moaning about what we don't do compared to what other template providers do.

Lets keep this community professional and friendly at all times.

Also I would like to thank the external website developers on this forum for their constructive positive feedback in response to other members comments.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:42 pm
digitalrage wrote:
Hello where's the pdf docs for gamebox?

Thanks.

This will be released shortly.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:44 pm
I don't believe anybody has suggested Gavick create a custom template to suit 4,000 members - clearly that is ridiculous.

I think what many people are requesting are a set of template themes styles to come with each template e.g. a light version, a dark version and maybe one or two others. Many providers deliver this as standard. I don't think it is unreasonable to request this and would appease a lot of the discontent.

Gavick do usually offer different color options but these are essentially link and menu color changes and not general theme styles.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:45 pm
Pinstripe wrote:
Sorry but not liking this one. It is WAY TOO DARK - it's hard to even make out a lot of the content. The main menu bar is pretty dull, just basic text links. The module variations are very ordinary, a choice of three colors or no color. The little module badges are kind of cool. It's basically a re-hash of Party Freak which was odd to say the least.

Have Gavick lost their touch? The only decent template this year has been MeMovie. Corporate2 was probably one of the dullest templates for a while - almost a replica of the very ordinary Finance template in 2009.

What happened? In 2008 you were the best. Some great stuff. Just get a feeling the ideas/creativity has dried up. Sorry if it sounds harsh but come on guys, you can do better. Need to spend less time on the great looking demo content and more on the template itself.

Need to get back to some creative and stylish (not over the top) ideas. People want slick, smart, clean templates that makes their content stand out. Very dark templates hide the content and make for a very bad user experience. You are very limited with such templates.

Yes I know you can change things with CSS but the template should have a very good standard look in the first place and a number of the recent ones just don't.

I am a big fan of Gavick mainly because of their 2007/2008 portfolio so I really do want them to produce great stuff. Hope my criticisms are taken constructively.

Thanks for your comments Pinstripe. Your comments have been forwarded to the developers to consider.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:47 pm
Pinstripe wrote:
I don't believe anybody has suggested Gavick create a custom template to suit 4,000 members - clearly that is ridiculous.

I think what many people are requesting are a set of template themes styles to come with each template e.g. a light version, a dark version and maybe one or two others. Many providers deliver this as standard. I don't think it is unreasonable to request this and would appease a lot of the discontent.

Gavick do usually offer different color options but these are essentially link and menu color changes and not general theme styles.

Agreed. I have passed your suggestions on and thank you for your feedback.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:49 pm
jpb wrote:
Pinstripe wrote:

Agreed. I have passed your suggestions on and thank you for your feedback.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:50 pm
dziudek wrote:
Gamebox template is available on http://demo.gavick.com. At 3 August we'll release the source files. Additionaly to 6 August we'll add a JomSocial support for this template.

Hi Gavick team,
first of all thanks for your great effort to improve your service.
Can we expect the support for Jomsocial or this project has been dropped?

Thanks in adv,
E.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:54 pm
celone wrote:
dziudek wrote:
Gamebox template is available on http://demo.gavick.com. At 3 August we'll release the source files. Additionaly to 6 August we'll add a JomSocial support for this template.

Hi Gavick team,
first of all thanks for your great effort to improve your service.
Can we expect the support for Jomsocial or this project has been dropped?

Thanks in adv,
E.

Hi Celone

dziudek wrote:
My apologize ;) Of course I want to wrote 3/6 August ;) I'm a little bit tired ;)

As far as I'm aware Jomsocial support is underway in development for Gamebox which started on 3rd August by judging what dziudek wrote a few days ago. Just please be patient. Thanks
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:12 pm
I have added a thread to the forum for suggestions and improvements that you would like to see implemented in the future.

If you have any ideas that you would like to make, please goto this thread

http://www.gavick.com/forum/1-general-d ... html#59946
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:31 pm
rhantson wrote:

It baffles my mind once in a while when I read the kind of stuff I'm reading here - not only here at Gavick, but on EVERY other Template site out there. Its the same issue, and people don't really undestand what a Template Club is at all...

I'm in NO WAY a CSS guru - and to expand a bit on my earlier comments - Joomla can be a BEAST when it comes to some templates out there spreading the same templates CSS areas across multiple templates... I can name TWO who are notorious about it, and don't put the CSS files in the proper locations to make them easy to find either...

How do "newbies" to the world of Joomla overcome this problem? Well, simply put, get a book on CSS or just browse the many sites who have plenty of CSS tutorials out there... Also - get a copy of Dreamweaver or some other WYSIWYG ready web design software suite... Open your CSS in these files, and just work with them on your site... and get the color schemes the way you want them...

Also - you can just ASK for HELP from the community... Rather than going off on the club 'staff' developers and demand they do the same thing XYZ template club does, why not just ask for help learning how to customize yourself.

Remember - what YOU may think is a bad look, someone else may say --- WOW! I wouldn't change a thing! (Do I like the design of this template? not exactly, I don't like the colors at all... but I know with the right tweaks using the PSD files, and fiddling with the CSS, I can make it LOOK however I want).

You can too... you may not know how right now, but you can learn how... and I am sure there are a TON of people who would help you just to get you guys to stop complaining... the object is to ASK for that help - not demand someone do it for you just because you spent a hundred dollars on their club.

RH

The problem is there are too many people that pretend to be a Web Development company because they can use Joomla and Template clubs to provide a product. A product they can't support, bring creativity to or anything that will really benefit a company.

Now you don't have to be a "developer" to provide solid services to your client. You just have to be resourceful and bring in others to your project to do what you can't do. I'm not a true developer, I provide other skill sets to my client projects. What I can't do, I don't rely on a template club for, I bring in other developers.

The people that bitch and complain here are the people that give our industry a bad name. They don't bring in the proper people to work on their projects. They just want to make a quick buck by giving a company a CMS with a template. Too bad there is way more to being successful on the internet.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:10 pm
jpb wrote:
I have added a thread to the forum for suggestions and improvements that you would like to see implemented in the future.

If you have any ideas that you would like to make, please goto this thread

http://www.gavick.com/forum/1-general-d ... html#59946

I think that gavick team should close this topic, in my opinion it is pointing to nowhere.
Anyone who want to suggest some improvements should write in topic started by jpb.
Kind regards
Tomek
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:02 pm
Just wondering: What style the august template will have?

Thanks!
Junior Boarder