MAJOR ISSUE: Embedded video crashes site in IE

October 08 Joomla Templates
GK User
Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:55 pm
Hi to all, I really appreciate so much if anyone can help me out with this MAJOR issue here.

After so many months of hard work my site was ready to go live, until I realized that all HTML custom modules containing embedded video are crashing the site completely in IE 7.

I've tried embedding videos from many sources and all of them crash the site in IE 7, giving the following error:

"IE can't open the internet site http://www.mysite.com - Operation aborted"

The site runs fine in mozilla, but most of my visitors will be using IE.

I narrowed the problem and there seems to be a bug in the template News II. I've confirmed that all embedded videos work fine with all other templates.

Please, please I'm begging for help here. I'm on a deadline, and my site is a Community News site with a lot of video feed.

I hope the Gavick developers read this plead for help.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:05 am
Could you send me access to this site for dziudek[at]gavick[dot]com ? It would be nice if I get FTP access - then I can play with different scripts solutions.
Administrator

GK User
Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm
Sorry, it became a long story now. The whole site got wasted.

I'm re-creating it from scratch, as soon as I finish I will give you the necessary access if the problem persists.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 pm
To those interested:

This seems to be a server issue. I replicated the whole site on a different server and there were no problems, the site ran fine in IE and FF, no crashing.

I contacted Siteground where the site is hosted and they gave me this solution. However, I'm not so sure if this is the perfect solution.

*****SITE GROUND REPLY*****
I have carefully investigated your issue and found out that the issue you are facing due to a component/module in your Joomla - the wrapper component/module. Therefore I have disabled the component/module in order to resolve your issue.

You find additional information about your issue at this address:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=278678
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:19 pm
For those interested on this issue:

The problem is back and the site keeps crashing in IE7. I keep contacting Siteground about it the give me a lame response and then keep closing my support tickets down without any real explanation.

I'll keep trying and keep you posted. I still believe this is a major issue.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:37 pm
Siteground solution: "Your request is beyond the scope of our hosting-related support. Hire a highly-skilled technician to resolve your problem"

Sorry, guys I hit a dead end here. I'm trying to narrow things down to pinpoint this problem, if anyone have a suggestion it'll be more than welcomed.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 pm
This may be solved. Here we go:

After spending the day on this issue I think I may have come across what's causing it. Hopefully this will be something that can be useful for others that may go crazy (like me LOL) with a similar situation.

My site is still offline, which means that I'm previewing the site with admin access. I decided to put the primary site online for a couple of minutes just to see what happened, guess what? the site runs smoothly without any crashing on IE. I put the site offline again and the problem came back.

So, hopefully this is just a matter of putting the site online to get rid of the problem. Not the perfect solution since I still would like to know why this happens on the Siteground servers, since the problem does not appear on other hosting companies regardless of the site being offline or online.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 am
I have an account on Siteground too!!! And everytime I embeed videos the site crashed on IE.

But I dont think is a server issue since I worked with a different template for one year and never gave me that problem..
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm
I'm not sure why you've this issue because I use the same template, with videos, and works just fine on all browsers, however, I've hosted my videos on a CDN container, and pull them with a link to K2.

If you're using K2 all videos plugin, try to check if the version is correct, if it's, switch to another player and check if it still crashes. When it crashes does it reports any error? And by crashing you mean site becomes offline, partially offline or just doesn't load?

joscarfas wrote:Hi to all, I really appreciate so much if anyone can help me out with this MAJOR issue here.

After so many months of hard work my site was ready to go live, until I realized that all HTML custom modules containing embedded video are crashing the site completely in IE 7.

I've tried embedding videos from many sources and all of them crash the site in IE 7, giving the following error:

"IE can't open the internet site http://www.mysite.com - Operation aborted"

The site runs fine in mozilla, but most of my visitors will be using IE.

I narrowed the problem and there seems to be a bug in the template News II. I've confirmed that all embedded videos work fine with all other templates.

Please, please I'm begging for help here. I'm on a deadline, and my site is a Community News site with a lot of video feed.

I hope the Gavick developers read this plead for help.
Expert Boarder