Switching templates

Support help forum dedicated to free and commerical templates for Joomla 3 and 2.5 version.
GK User
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 pm
Hello,

I am currently using the game magazine template on joomla 1.7 but would like to switch to the new game news template 2.5 that has been released, the website is an active news site (d e s i s p y . c o m).

What would be the best way to go about changing the template?

The only way i can think of is installing the new one and then transferring the articles (k2) over keeping the same menu strucuture but i dont know how to transfer articles over to make sure they keep the same category structure.

Any advice on the best way to go about this please?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm
My advise is to install template on the same Joomla! where you have the previous version - of course firstly update Joomla. This will avoid problems with moving content. Then just change the module positions to this from new template.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 am
Thanks for the reply and advice, with regards to updating the joomla on current site, i have various extensions installed, most important 1 being sh404sef , any idea as a general idea if there are many problems when upgrading from 1.7 to 2.5 in terms of extensions not working? Dont wont to ruin the site if you get me.

Also if i manage to upgrade to 2.5 no problem, how do i install the template by itself?

Your help is much appreciated, thanks!
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am
If you upgrade from 1.7 to 2.5 please just download latest version of template and override files via ftp connection - that's all. Probably you will have some problems with extensions but update should resolve problems. My advise is to create backup before by Akeeba or some other tool :)
Platinum Boarder