Customization not working properly - help please

Photo, amazing way to showcase your architecture, photography or artistic projects | Support forum.
GK User
Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm
I keep editing the "Archive Content" section of the customization, but it doesn't update correctly.

For example, I hit sometimes the "save and publish" button after changing some category options, it says "saved", but the category pages don't change. Then I go back to the Archive Content section and the checkboxes have reverted to the previous settings.

Also, I have 7 posts of category "portfolio", but only 1 appears on the category page. And the way it displays is different from the Archive Content display settings, no matter how many times I change them. (I choose the "simple content with title and dark overlay only" checkbox, yet the title doesn't appear)

1. How can I make the customization settings "stick"?
2. Why aren't all the "portfolio" posts showing up on the portfolio category page?
3. Why is the post that is shown on the page displaying incorrectly?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:27 pm
I removed the categories from that one post, and then went back to the "portfolio" category page. Suddenly the page displays "Portfolio(5)" but displays 6 posts!!

So many questions:
1. How can I make the customization settings "stick"?
2. Why is only 1 "portfolio" post showing up on the portfolio category page?
3. Why is that post displaying incorrectly?
4. Why would removing that posts's categories suddenly make the other posts appear on the category page?

Seems like something's really wrong...help please.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
After deleting the category completely, creating a new category and assigning the post to that category, it now seems ok.

Does this suggest maybe it was a wordpress error rather than an error in the theme customization?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am
Hi,

It was probably a problem with WP or your existing category, because other users don't report this kind of issues with Photo theme. Please let us know if you find other issues.

GK User
Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:50 am
No, there's definitely something very wrong.
I've added another post, and now the category totals are all over the place.
For example, there are a total of 9 posts with category "portfolio" but at the top of page 1 shows "PORTFOLIO(1)", yet it shows all 9 posts. But when you go to page 2 of 2 it says "PORTFOLIO(6)".

However when I display category "Web Works" (there is 1 post in this category), the top of the page shows "WEB WORKS(9)".

If I go to my dashboard and look at the categories page, the correct totals are shown next to each category.

So definitely a problem with the customization.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am
And also, even though the category pages are set to show as "simple content with title and dark overlay only", and most categories display like this, the category "Portfolio" is displaying with light overlay!
Senior Boarder

GK User
Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am
Could you please provide me with your website FTP and back-end access via PM (click the “Private Message” text underneath my avatar) so that I may analyze it?

GK User
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:30 am
The problem is connected by fact that you are using multiple categories in your posts - and wordpress takes the first category.

Maybe the best option will be removing this counter.. I'll try to analyze it deeper when I find some time.

GK User
Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:09 pm
Using multiple categories is a standard functionality of WordPress, so I appreciate you checking for a solution when you have time. Thanks.
In the meantime, should I just make sure each post has only one category?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:06 am
Well, I changed every post to only have one category. There are now no posts with multiple categories, but the numbers on the Portfolio category page are still displaying wrongly.

So the problem doesn't seem to be caused by posts with multiple categories.

Are these totals read from some file that can be "reset" or deleted and recreated which might fix this?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:26 am
I've edited your category.php file, please check the multiple categories now and let me know.

Your portfolio category now shows 0 - the same value as in your Dashboard - > Posts -> Categories section, if you want to display proper value here, please use multiple categories (i.e. Image Works and Portfolio)

GK User
Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:31 pm
Thanks so much Piotr.
Is it something easy that I can do myself if the problem happens again?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:09 pm
I've changed this fragment from your category.php file:
Code: Select all
$category = get_the_category();
                            echo $category[0]->category_count;

into:
Code: Select all
$category = get_category( get_query_var( 'cat' ) );
                            $cat_id = $category->cat_ID;

$term = get_term( $cat_id, 'category' );
                            echo $term->count;

This fix will be added to the next version of the Photo theme, so don't worry and thank you for your feedback.