Writer template fails mobile friendly test

Writer is a clean and professional theme for blog or personal website.
GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:14 am
Hello, I have tried to run Google's mobile friendly test on my website that uses Writer template, but it fails. Any idea why is this happening?

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ ... dizajn.org

http://www.webdizajn.org

I am using GoDaddy web hosting if that is of any importance.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:24 am
I have seen that issue once. And it was not template related but somehow server related. I have duplicated users site to my own hosting company and ran the test again and all was fine while on users server somehow stylesheets and javascripts files was not available for google test.
Sadly - I can't provide any more informations as user haven't replied since then.

Please contact your hosting company support and ask them to verify why those css and js files are not available when google tool is requesting them.

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:26 am
Hi,
Google uses mathematic algorithms - sometimes for them 1px is a big difference.
There are no clue about what links, from menu, from modules? so it's even for us to guess...

About #2 issue I will ask developer.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 am
I have sloved it, maybe it helps someone else. It is not server related, problem is with robots.txt

That file blocks CSS, JS and Images needed for Google to render a page to see if site us mobile friendly.I have used webmasters tools to see what is happening and found it.

If you want to correct this, here is the solution. Open your robots.txt and paste this code

Code: Select all
User-agent: *
Disallow: /administrator/
Disallow: /cache/
Disallow: /cli/
Disallow: /components/
# Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /includes/
Disallow: /installation/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /libraries/
Disallow: /logs/
# Disallow: /media/
# Disallow: /modules/
Disallow: /plugins/
# Disallow: /templates/
Disallow: /tmp/

This should fix it.

But main problem with this is - are there any privacy concerns with this approach?
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:57 am
But main problem with this is - are there any privacy concerns with this approach?

Yes, your robots.txt is now more open even the Joomla org suggests,
I mean with comparison with new robots.txt from J3.4

Is this danger? I guess no, because Google do not hack websites.

BTW
Remove: Disallow: /installation/
because you don't have it anymore.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:16 am
Thanks.

But when it comes to Google, this is another problem for Joomla in general, because if we want to be "mobile friendly" and in a good position when it comes to search results, we must comment those lines in robots.txt. If we don't, our site ranking will sink like a Titanic.

This Joomla problem may affect your other templates as well, because now it doesn't matter if template is responsive if google can't render a page to check it.

You can always check by yourself through Google's web developer tools and this link http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:18 am
Yes, but in Gavick we have one rule, we do not touch Joomlal core files, it also means that we cannot touch robots.txt.
We "only" sell and produce templates. Ask on Official Joomla Forum.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:34 pm
@Vlasterx - thanks for sharing the solution. It will be helpful for other users.
What's strange - it must have been also somehow on server side... When I did my test somehow by server didn't allow robots.txt to affect the google test.

GK User
Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 pm
You're welcome, I'm glad it helped ;)
Junior Boarder