Image Show GK4 uses so much graphics memory!

May 2014 Joomla Template
GK User
Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:37 am
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering why the Image Show GK4 module uses so much graphics memory..
I am using the University template and everytime I'm sitting on the homepage watching the Image Show GK4 module working from slide to slide, the fan on my macbook pro goes nuts as if i'm playing Skyrim on maxed out graphics detail! :lol:

The pics im using are around 500kb in size each and I only have 2 slides running atm.. But even when i tested this problem with your University DEMO site, same thing.. after around 20 secs the fan kicks in hard.. then as soon as you venture away from the page or web browser, the fan dies off to normal again..

Can you guys test this pls and let me know how or if this can be fixed..

Regards,

Dee
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 pm
I don't think its NSP issue, more browser like. All the module is doing is some translation of images and text. Those are standard things and the only thing that might be the cause it the browser itself. Please try with chrome/safari/firefox. On my MBP there is no such issue.

GK User
Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:13 pm
Wow! there is some truth to what your saying.. I knew this happens with Chrome and Firefox as I tested it before I posted the original post, but upon your reply I tested both urls (my site and the University Demo site) with SAFARI, and NO FAN!! :shock:

Firefox & Chrome = Fan worked to full speed by 1 minute. Dissipates immediately upon stray away..
Safari = No problem at all!

So can you pls try with Chrome and Firefox to see if you get excess graphics power usage as well from those 2 browsers..

Thx for your swift reply. hopefully there is some kind of solution.. wonder if anyone else can confirm this??

Regards,

Dee
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:47 pm
On my MBP there is no problem at all. Even if there would be one - there is nothing that can be done when browser has issues with rendering of animated images, text or simply css transformations. The only workaround is to resign from any animated plugins and use static image ;).

GK User
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:25 am
Ok thx for your time mate :)

...and just to add - upon further inspection, there is no problem when the homepage is viewed using google dev tools as smaller devices such as iPad or iPhone sizes.. but viewed as full page, the graphics card on my "mid 2014 mbp" goes into overdrive everytime! well i'm at a loss..
Just very annoying thats all.. thx again Cyberek
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:16 pm
Mid 2014 - could you please provide some more details? Is it same on our demo server? Could you please provide some hardware details? Also browser version might be handy.
I might have similar older mbp and could take a look into it in more details (just because I'm curious whats going on) ;).

GK User
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:18 pm
Ps... are you sure its gpu not cpu fan? Could you verify cpu usage (activity monitor) and cpu temp (any freeware solution).