Highlighter does not show new items from category

Discussion about free Joomla news rotator/ticker with multiple effects like scrolling, fading and several data sources supported.
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:51 pm
I love Highlighter - it's a great tool to share snippets of information right on my front page. I found a problem with it and have a simple work-around but would like a to know if there's a fix available.
I'd be very surprised if I'm the only one hitting this problem.

The issue is that HighLighter does NOT show newly published articles. I have the module setup to show all articles in the "NEWS" category. I also have a NEWSFLASH module at the bottom of my page that shows articles from the same category.
New articles are present in the NEWSFLASH module but not in HighLighter.

My workaround is to change the create-date and publish-date to yesterday at 00:00 or earlier.

Thanks for a great module :silly:
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:08 pm
did you try to change timezone in module ?
Administrator

GK User
Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 am
Thanks for responding.

The time zone is set to "(UTC -5:00)" in both the Gavick News Highlighter module and the Joomla Global Configuration settings.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:57 am
Just set the option "Start Position" to zero and it will work. The same thing is with the GK News Show but there the option is called "Number of first news".
I had a lot of trouble until I really got mad and tried to click and un-click every single thing and see what happens. First I thought the problem was with the time zones but it turned out that it's just one stupid "0" instead of "1"!

Please reply if it works for you so we can mark this thing as SOLVED.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm
The "Start Position" is already set to "0"
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 pm
Did you try just leaving it blank? Regarding the time zones, what is the timezone of your host? Check that too. Also, I think you should pick a Section and Category... (it seems like every install of this module has it's own bug ... weird... it's also even weirder that the makers of this module don't seem to be very interested into solving these issues and/or answering the posts. If the reason for this is that the module is free then put a reasonable price on it and provide a proper support)
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:08 am
I logged in intending to see what was wrong with the highlighter. Played around with it and it is working the way I wanted it to, but I cannot explain it. I have two categories I wanted displayed. News/Latest and News/Bulletins. I only have one of them checked in the back-end (News Lates) but both of them are showing and both of them are showing the latest one. I don't know why it is working, but it is (well... mostly). I really like this module. I agree, I hope the bugs get worked out (even if it becomes commercial). Peace

http://www.topcatlive.com
Fresh Boarder