GK5 not showing RSS in the latest Joomla

Rate this topic: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.1.00 out of 6 based on 1 vote(s)
GK User
Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 am
Report this post
Hi. It says in the description News Show GK5 that it is compatible with:

COMPATIBILITY:JOOMLA! 3.5 / 2.5

I just updated joomla to 3.6.5 and the rss feeds are now longer loaded in the module. Do I have to downgrade Joomla or do you have an update of GK5 that is compatible?

My site: http://www.islamnet.no
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:47 pm
Report this post
Hi

Try edit file mod_news_pro_gk5/data_sources/rss/model.php, remove line 24:

Code: Select all
$rss = new SimplePie($config['rss_feed'], JPATH_ROOT . DS . 'modules' . DS . 'mod_news_pro_gk5' . DS . 'cache', $config['rss_cache_time'] * 60);

and replace it with:

$rss = new SimplePie();
$feed->set_feed_url($config['rss_feed']);
$feed->set_cache_location(JPATH_ROOT . DS . 'modules' . DS . 'mod_news_pro_gk5' . DS . 'cache');
$feed->set_cache_duration($config['rss_cache_time'] * 60);

GK User
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 pm
Report this post
Hi. Thanks, but it did not work, it just made the front page crash.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:52 pm
Report this post
After doing the last change, and then changing back, I am not able to enter any module in the back end. Can you please have a look at it?
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 pm
Report this post
Hi

It wouldn't crash if syntax was correct, so please send me this file and I'll check what is wrong. This file is used by frontend only so changes to it could not affect joomla panel.

Please send me an access to joomla panel and the extra password appearing before login screen.

GK User
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm
Report this post
I'll send you the file and login details on email. Can't attach the file here.
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am
Report this post
Hi

Try replace this file. If this will not work an screen goes blank, set errors showing to maximum and let me know the error. I would have check it by myself, but still cannot connect to Your ftp.

GK User
Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 am
Report this post
Thx, it did not work, I sent you the errors on PM.
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am
Report this post
Hi

The access to joomla panel I had is not working any more. Also the extra password from RSFirewall. Please send it to me by mail [email protected]

GK User
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:04 pm
Report this post
Hi. I have sent you an email.
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 am
Report this post
Hi

Yes I have it. Indeed that helped to login since my firefox keep updating a different password. Unfortunately this problem is really hard to solve since I cannot login to Your FTP. It tells me "Login successfully", but after about 30s tells me "Connection time out".

I'm trying to backup Your site on my computer and look there, but package is huge so it's gonna take some time.

Anyway while testing I was getting one error message constantly:

Your site is running on PHP 5.4.16 which has stopped receiving security updates since Thursday, 03 September 2015. Using this on a live site is dangerous: unpatched security issues can get your site hacked. Moreover, we can only guarantee support for obsolete versions of PHP after nine months since their end-of-life date. Therefore, support for your version of PHP may be dropped any time after Friday, 03 June 2016. We strongly advise you to ask your host to upgrade your site to PHP 5.6 or later.

so, maybe that's the problem. Please try to update it so we will see.

teitbite
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm
Report this post
Hi

Just finished working with a copy of Your website. Here You can find an updated file. I was not able to see a content on my computer because of the rsfirewall blocking me, but hopefully it will work for You.

GK User
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:49 pm
Report this post
Hi, thanks. But it didn't solve the problem.

Just a thought: would it not be a good idea to update the module to be compatible with the latest joomla?
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 am
Report this post
Hi

It is working with the newest joomla. I'm being asked to assist with this module every day and there were never such problems as I've encounter on Your site. I think there is something in Your server which does not allow module to work. Firewall, PHP version maybe. I really do not know, but module is barely getting a response from the url it has a feed configured to show. Try maybe using a different module, I do not think we will be able to figure out why is it block since an FTP account is locked for me as well, which makes it impossible to run any tests. Sorry, but I think it's the best option now.

GK User
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm
Report this post
Hi, I have sent you ftp details on email. Please have a look. Thank you!
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Report this post
Hi

Yes I did, thank You. I have passed that to programmers. Will let You know as soon as they will answer me.

GK User
Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 pm
Report this post
Hi. Any update?
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm
Report this post
Hi

No word from programmers unfortunately. I've just added this issue one more time, hopefully they will answer now.

GK User
Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:46 pm
Report this post
Hi. Any update now?
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am
Report this post
Hi

I can see a big discussion at bug tracker where I've reported that, but programmers could not figure that out. They suspect than RSFirewall (or some other thing) is blocking the resource. Try take down all of the securities to test it.

GK User
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 pm
Report this post
Hi thanks. I have tried that, but it did not help.
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 am
Report this post
Hi

I'm afraid it can't be solved. Programmers have tested it and rss resource from different sources works well. This has to be some separated case probably connected to some specific server settings or conditions. Please replace the module with a different one. Or try using Joomla's Feed component to transform resources into articles and than use NSP to show those articles and no feed directly.

GK User
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 pm
Report this post
Hi. I have turned on display errors, and the module is showing this:

Deprecated: Passing parameters to the constructor is no longer supported. Please use set_feed_url(), set_cache_location(), and set_cache_location() directly. in /var/www/vhosts/islamnet.no/public_html/libraries/vendor/simplepie/simplepie/library/SimplePie.php on line 640

Please have a look at this link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1814 ... ary-in-php

From what I understand you need to update the module code. Can you please check? Our PHP version is 7.1.
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am
Report this post
Hi

This update is included already and we still do not know why Your site refuses to pick a feed from this page. Any other feeds works and there are no other reports of similar problem, so it has to be something with this feed or how this feed is processed/blocked. Please use a different solution to show feed or NSP with connection to joomla feed as I described above.