Multilanguage issues

October 2012 Joomla Template
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.1.00 out of 6 based on 1 vote(s)
GK User
Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm
Report this post
Hi all,

I am working on a multilingual site with the Startup template, and having some issues with the following:

Cannot find a way to put the Language Switcher over the header. I've tried various module positions (including position-7, login, register) without any lack.
The topmost position it could be displayed is the header position, in which case the title did not show!
(I have 2 LS setup, one for each language and the title language changes fine in Top1 position for example)

Cannot change the language of LOGIN and SIGN IN in both the popup window and login and register potitions.

Most important, I cannot change the language of HOME item in PageTop menu, since this item cannot be disabled. I have tried many different ways to overcome this issue, but had no lack.

Please let me know if there is way around this problems, as it is important to have based my work on this template and it will take quite an effort and pursuation to change it.

Thank you,

John
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 am
Report this post
Hi

1. Please set it in top1 and show me Your site.
2. Please translate this values in en-GB.tpl_gk_startup.ini language file
3. You cannot disable it, but You can set it not to show item name. If this is not an option than I would suggest to use Falang component and translate this element with it.

GK User
Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am
Report this post
Hi,

thank you for your immediate response.

I have uploaded an attachement that shows where the language switcher is placed when I set it in top-1 position (right under the header).
(Not sure if uploading succeded. If not I will try a link).

2. Solved!
The en-GB.tpl_gk_startup.ini file was the solution, but I had to copy it in the other languages directories and rename it according to its language initials (i.e. fr-FR.tpl_gk_startup.ini). This file it is not placed in each language directory by default.

I have already tried the option "not show the item name", but did not work.
I will try the Falang component today and will let you know.

Thank you,

John
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am
Report this post
Hi,

please download the image from the following link: http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJXZ ... Ui80WjhUQw

Thanks.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am
Report this post
Hi,

no.3 is solved, by setting:
Home menu item / Advanced Options / Link Type Options / Add menu title
to NO.

John
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 pm
Report this post
Hi

The position of flags is ok. Show me Your site now and let me know where do You want to have this flags.

GK User
Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 am
Report this post
Hi,

it seems that my last reply was not posted for some reason.
The site is www.olvios.com (temp site) and the position of the language switcher module is "header", which the topmost I managed to make it appear.

I would like it to appear above or on the right, or at the bottom of login position.
Though I believe you can judge better, as it should display with no problems in different screen sizes as well, and I have no relevant experience.

Thanks for your responses,

John
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:09 pm
Report this post
Hi

Please add this code to override.css (remember to set override to ON in template settings)

Code: Select all
div.mod-languages {
    position: absolute;
    right: 25px;
    text-align: center;
    top: 20px;
}

@media only screen and (max-width:719px) {
div.mod-languages {
    right: 80px;
}
}

@media only screen and (min-width:720px) and (max-width: 985px) {
div.mod-languages {
    right: 225px;
}
}

GK User
Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 pm
Report this post
Hi,

I am not sure what position to put the language module. It seems it works only in "header".
I added the code bat had the following issues:

Using Crome and Safari, the flags are not cklicable. Using Mozilla, the flags are not shown.
They are clickable only in Explorer.

When gradually reduce size of browzer window, the flags appear behind the Register and Login positions. They do not stay on the right of the Login position at all times.

Thanks,

John
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm
Report this post
Hello, I had some of the same issues. I tried the code above, it places my language selector in the right position, but I cannot click on it. There is no hand for the cursor. Also, I tried the dropdown as well as without. I am on a mac and tried with safari, chrome and FF - same behavior.

The html generated seems ok, the a href link is being generated. I have override set to ON.

Also, and most importantly: I cannot get a main menu to appear in the alternate language. I have created many multilingual sites so I understand how the menu system works. However, I do not have an option in the *Startup* template config to toggle multi languages. OR...if I try to create a menu module, the template has NO MODULE POSITION for me to publish it in. The position "mainmenu" does not seem to exist. I cannot find it on the template documentation page either, the module positions on that page are for another template.

I have read the following article: http://www.gavick.com/documentation/que ... oomla-1-7/

...and it does not help me with the Startup template.

Thanks
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:05 pm
Report this post
I installed Falang, I followed their multilingual instructions for 2.5 - (I would rather not have - I try to use Joomla core when I can for stability and security purposes).

2 questions:
- Do I need the 3 menu construct for 2 languages (ALL, lang1, lang2) using Falang?
- I tried both with and without the 3 menu construct to no avail. When I translate the module, I do not know the module position to choose (menu1-menu10), all don't work - and I do not know where the default module position is of the main menu (configurable in the template config) b/c it is not indicated (I even tried to guess the module positions using Firebug). When I switch languages (using the falang switcher) , the 2nd language menu does not appear.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm
Report this post
Hi eskimoroll,

did you follow instructions in the documentation for this particullar point:

"5. Create menu items for languages.
‘Menu for English Language’ and ‘Menu for Italian Language’ menus, should have only for one menu item (the Home one) then the items visible in particular language will be created in ‘Main Menu’."

That is:
- 3 Menus (for 2 languages), one for each language and one for all (i.e. Main menu EN, Main menu IT, Main menu)
- Only one item, the Home, for each of the 2 languages Main Menu (i.e. Main menu EN/Home, Main menu IT/Home).
- All other menu items for both languages, under the Main Menu for all languages.
- Set Main menu (for all languages) HOME item / Advanced Options / Link Type Options / Add menu title to NO. This way the word "HOME" will not apear in every language.
Then put a menu item for each language as a replacement for the HOME menu item, and point each of them to the home page of the respective language.

This way worked for me.
I have not yet tried Falang, as I estimated it would make thinks more complicated, and I still have isuues with the language flags clickability and position.

John
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm
Report this post
Hi

About flags I've missed one thing to show them above menu layer. Please replace my code to:

div.mod-languages {
    position: absolute;
    right: 25px;
    text-align: center;
    top: 20px;
    z-index: 1000;
}

@media only screen and (max-width:719px) {
div.mod-languages {
    right: 80px;
}
}

@media only screen and (min-width:720px) and (max-width: 985px) {
div.mod-languages {
    right: 225px;
}

@media only screen and (min-width:986px) and (max-width: 1220px) {
div.mod-languages {
    top: 45px;
}
}

GK User
Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:16 am
Report this post
Rede11,

Thank you for that completely unintuitive solution, good for you for finding it! Worked like a charm, and I do not have to purchase Falang for a multilang site.

And thank you teitbite for the z-index mod, also worked perfectly...and allowed me to have it exactly where I want it.

@Gavick team: It would be more intuitive if we could create separate menus, one for each language..and just be able to assign them a module position.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am
Report this post
Hi,

I would like to thank teitbeit as well. It worked fine but still with an issue regarding the images of the flags going over the SingIn and Login words when gradualy reducing the size of the window, or view in a tablet in landscape mode.
I use the header position for the language module. Is this proper, or should I use another potition?

Thanks,

John
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm
Report this post
Hi

Falang has a great working free version as well :)

Please look closely. This part of the code is responsible for the flags position for smaller screens:

@media only screen and (min-width:986px) and (max-width: 1220px) {
div.mod-languages {
    top: 45px;
}

just change the value to move it up or down and not cover links.