upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to 3.2

Support forum dedicated to free and advanced Joomla content presentation module with various layout options and data sources support.
GK User
Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 pm
I have begun planning my upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.2.

I understand that it is possible to execute the Joomla core update using the Joomla update component (Components -> Joomla! Update). I also understand that I need to upgrade all extensions to 3.x compatible versions.

Some extensions can be upgraded to versions that will run in 2.5 and 3.x, which is great.

However, others cannot (like some of the Gavick extensions), so I know that they will have to removed, then re-installed with 3.x compatible versions after the Joomla core is upgraded to 3.2.

I use NewShow Pro GK4 and ImageShow. If I uninstall these extensions, will all the modules that I have created for them also be removed? In other words, am I going to have to re-create (with all the appropriate settings) all my NSP and ImageShow modules after an upgrade to 3.2? Or, will just code for the extensions be removed during the uninstall and will the entries in the modules table remain intact?
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 pm
Hi,
First rule: Everything you do at your own risk
Second rule: Full back-up then upgrade
Third: If something gone wrong it's in 90% you fault.
Four: Check if your server is 100% ready for Joomla 3.x for example PHP 5.3.28+ and MYSQL 5 - if not, sorry. You can forget.

Are you sure that you need upgrade to 3.2 right now? Maybe wait until Joomla 3.3 will be ready.

After upgrade :
1) Re-install GK template (with version for J3.x)
2) Re-install all gavick modules (with versions for J3.2)
3) If you have any errors disable modules and plugins and check one by one
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:31 am
Thank you for the quick response.

I did not see the answer to my specific question. I wanted to know when I uninstalled NewsShowPro if all my existing NSP modules (in the modules table) would be deleted, which would mean when I upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to 3.2, I will have to rebuild all my NSP modules.

Is there a way to manually upgrade from the Joomla 2.5 versions of Gavick modules to the Joomla 3.x versions of Gavick modules? I don't want to have to rebuild all my NSP modules.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:51 am
Hmm?
What to you mean rebuild ?
I said reinstall not rebuild.

reinstall --> means install version for Joomla 3.2 (mod_news_pro_gk5_J!3.zip), you don't have to uninstall old one.
If you done this - it will update all NSP installed copies/clones of NSP module.

There are/could be small changes in database so manually update only module files could not work in 100%.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:57 am
p.s.
You can also save JSON of NSP module settings to be sure that you have backup.
If you made php customization - you have to do this same in new module version.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:39 pm
I misunderstood. I assumed a reinstall, especially going from 2.5 to 3.2 would require an uninstall of the old module and an install of the new module. Not having to uninstall the old module works perfectly.

Thank you again for your help.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm
yes, you don;t have to uninstall - just install new dedicated version. :D
Platinum Boarder