Invalid activation key

Questions related to the configuration of Wordpress, themes, and security related questions/issues
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:01 am
Hi

After a user registers, they receive email activation link, when clicked they are taken to activate page but get the error Invalid activation key(see attached), copying the key from the url does not work either.

Any ideas why this is happening ?

site is here http://irishartist.info

Thanks
Dar
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 am
Does it happens also on default Beeze template?

GK User
Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm
Hi Cyberek

So I don't think this was an issue with the template, wordpress or buddypress more with my hosting ( I think ), anyway this is what I 've done.

I deactivated BP - no mails / register coming through with default WP register either.

I was in touch with my hosting regarding the Mail Q or if there was a current issue with server – still awaiting a response…

Checked to see if I was receiving mails from other sources i.e mail clients , gmail etc to the mail address (this was ok), so still unsure whether it’s was wordpress/buddypress issue or server side issue ….

well I couldn’t wait for my hosting , I’m not the most Patience ;-). @mercime over at buddypress.org suggested I try WP Mail SMTP Plugin, and with some changing of ports all seems to be ok now ( fingers crossed ) users are able to register, receive activation email and log in / register as normal.

Thanks
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 pm
Sorry, its WP question... oh silly I am ;).
There is a clue with wp. In standard wordpress uses server software called sendmail. And if it is available for php mail function it is used. But if the php mail function doesn't work (because perhaps sendmail is not available), then WP will not be able to send any mail. But there are aditional plugins for wordpress that allows to define 3rd party mail server and send trough that. You can check this plugin:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/
It might solve your case.

GK User
Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm
http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/ installed and seems to have sorted the problem, Thanks :-)
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:37 pm
No problem :)
If You will have any other questions, feel free to post new forum threads - it helps us answer you faster ;)

GK User
Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:05 pm
Hello,

I am also having this issue with the (M)Social WordPress theme. I've setup the plugin that you mention. I don't really see any difference in the email that I receive.

So, here's what is happening for me:

1. User Signs up (registers)
2. User receives an email with the link
3. User clicks on the link
4. On the page, it says their account is activated
5. If they go to login, they can do it.
6. If they perform any other action it wants an activation key
7. No activation key is in the email, unless you look in the URL in the email
8. It does not work
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 pm
The previous problem was with mails not sending at all. In your case were the mails sent before you have installed smtp plugin?

GK User
Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:22 am
Cyberek wrote:The previous problem was with mails not sending at all. In your case were the mails sent before you have installed smtp plugin?

Yeah, the mail was still sending before I installed the plugin. My issue I guess is more about the activation key and invalid message. Sorry I thought that was the issue they were having as well.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 am
From what I understand - the process is working correctly.
1. User registers
2. To activate an account he needs to click the link in an email
3. After clicking the link he can login with his new activated account

So what is the problem? How should the process look like in your opinion?

GK User
Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm
Cyberek wrote:From what I understand - the process is working correctly.
1. User registers
2. To activate an account he needs to click the link in an email
3. After clicking the link he can login with his new activated account

So what is the problem? How should the process look like in your opinion?

Hi Cyberek,

Your right, it is working. The problem seems to occur when they've clicked the link to activate their account and they do one thing or another and don't log in right away, they keep ending up on that activation screen, except now they get the error in the screenshot I posted. I wonder if there is a way to redirect to the login screen or the home page or something after an account has been successfully activated.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 am
One last check - does it behave same with any of standard WP themes activated?

GK User
Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 am
Cyberek wrote:One last check - does it behave same with any of standard WP themes activated?

I'll have to try it with the default BuddyPress theme. I'll let you know.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:09 pm
From I have read - activation is purely BudyPress functionality, so you should ask on their forum about the details.