Bug with template translation?

Professional Joomla restaurant template comes with a custom animated modules and advanced typography elements.
GK User
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:55 am
Hello, I tried to translate the language file of the template to Greek. It works just fine except in a single instance, the error.php page

The setting in the template parameters is set to "email". When I change the "Contact Webmaster" string in the greek language file, the link showing at the frontend is messed up. All I get is a "@" (which is a link) and the email as plain text right next to it.

Check it out here: http://demo.lovecooking.gr/error.php
Junior Boarder

GK User
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 pm
The problem occur when you use any translation or some which contains Greek diacritic characters? I suspect that this may be caused by file encoding because default file is working fine so after your changes this may be only cause by some problem inside file.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:34 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have duplicated the en-GB.tpl_gk_restaurant.ini file and put it in the languages/el-GR directory as el-GR.tpl_gk_restaurant.ini

The encoding of the file is UTF-8. If it was a problem with the encoding, there should be other problems in the translation as well. But as you can see in the error.php page, the rest of the text appears OK. Also in other instances as well, as the login popup.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:55 am
I've checked this page and see that it is fully translated » screenshot

Could you tell me where was the problem? Joomla may parse language file until find the problem so some phrases may work…
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 am
Hello again,

check the bottom line in your screenshot where it should say "Contact Webmaster" (Next to the Homepage link... in Greek it should say "Επικοινωνήστε με τον Webmaster")
Instead of the Greek translation you only see a "@" sign (which is active link) and the email which is not cloaked or link for that matter
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm
If you change this phrase to any other sentence for example "Test" the same happen?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:00 pm
Any string that starts with a latin character works fine. For instance:

"Email στον Webmaster" works fine
"Στείλτε μήνυμα στον Webmaster" doesn't... Weird!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 pm
One of chars in this text cause this issue :) and probably encoding of this char. Please detect which one by just some tests and then replace it by HTML entity » http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/charref
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 pm
I have tried different alternatives and it always fails when the first character in Greek (not latin probably)

There is no way I am going to go through this, I will use "Email" to start the string. But I think that you should do some debugging on this page and its dependencies.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:22 am
For sure this is not template issue or language file bug - this is your editor issue or encoding is not proper UTF-8 without BOM.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm
If you wish I can send you the translation file and you can give it a try. The only way it can work is to replace the initial character with its decimal equivalent. Ie, if you want to start the string with the greek letter "Σ", you can only use this: "Σ" Not even the HTML entity works.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:46 am
Sorry but without Greek keyboard I can't test this issue. Please just try to use different text editor - there are Greek Joomla translation so it some way it have to work with this special chars.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 am
this is what I am trying to tell you. I have been using TextWrangler and Coda forever for things like that. I have made hundreds of language files. I have a huge experience in text encoding.

Oh well... I tried anyway.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:24 am
I've change this phrase to some other one in template and there is no problem for me. I've used default OS X TextEdit app. This have to be problem with your special char not with the template, you can always switch to Beez and try translate part of this default template to see the same result.
Platinum Boarder