404 redirect doesnt always work

Questions related to the configuration of Joomla, Templates, and Security related questions/issues
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm
Hi guys,

The 404 page redirect does only work when the error happens on a 'second-level' URL. If not, the visitor gets shown my homepage.

For example, the URL http://beta.school-energy.nl/contact/abc leads to the 404 page, but http://beta.school-energy.nl/abc leads to my homepage.

This happens for both my websites where I used Shop & Buy.

Hope you can help me!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm
Hi,
about error 404 --> some facts:
1) for users it's unnecessary page, they want working page withouts any "strange" errors. So make sure that you don't have it - every month, there are few tools to check it. So if users will see home page, they say okey ... there wasn't any page that I was searching for. But if he will see Error404 - upss.. they have broken page or I have made mistake ?

2) Our template - like any others templates uses standard error page functionality (gk_TemplateName\error.php) - with just have a little bit different appearance.

3) Template should not be response for generating 404 errors - Joomla does. You can check it - changing a template to default.

4) For capturing errors you can use different component for example: Qlue Custom 404 (Free/Pro)- he will use article where you can put some info, links and funny picture.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:56 am
Hi Pawel,

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the template to default, and the error still occurred. These are both websites I created from Gavick Shop& Buy quickstart packages, that's why I thought the problem is on you guys.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm
I changed the template to default, and the error still occurred.

If on default Joomla template still is the error it's means that gavick template is not guilty ! - said doctor Watson.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 pm
quickstart packages = Joomla + template + modules --> all should works fine, so maybe problem is inside Joomla?
Platinum Boarder