"writeDynaList is not defined" problem

Questions related to the configuration of Joomla, Templates, and Security related questions/issues
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm
Hello, I installed Simplicity template with all the demo data included (with K2). Now the site is almost finished, but currently I can't edit any module or even edit template configuration. Page loads bad (see attachment).
This is caused by famous "writedynalist is not defined" error. I Googled a lot but the only solution I found is updating K2 extension. But didn't worked for me.
When I try to edit the template I get "Joomal is not defined" error
Please suggest what can I do, I'm ready to answer all the questions.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 pm
As this is not template related following is what I suggest.

If Joomla debug is enabled, turn it off and check your modules again.
Backup your site.
Download new joomla from joomla.org
Overwrite it to your current installation. Don't copy configuration.php and installation folder.

This should get rid off any potential missing files.
If this doesn't work then it might be a server setting or plugin causing this error.

Let me know and I help you further by checking it in your site.

See you around...
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:57 pm
Thank you for your reply.
I tried before to overwrite folder "administrator", but didn't work neither. The site is almost finished, if I overwrite all the folders I will miss a lot of CSS, images and code edits.. Also, people on forum agree "writeDynaList is not defined" is not a file missing problem, that's some kind of Java conflict or Memory limits..
Debug mode was off all this time
I checked some recent plugins of mine, but turning them off didn't work..
I can PM you access details if you want to take a look..
Thank you a lot :roll:
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:12 pm
What is your php memory limit is set to.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:44 pm
In System Information — PHP Information it says
memory_limit: 64M
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:37 am
Can you package your website, files and database and send it to me or upload it to your ftp as a zip file so I can download and test it on my server, this way it would be much faster to diagnose / debug.

My email normanuk[at]live.co.uk.

Please include this topic subject as your email subject so i can find it easily.

See you around...
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:41 am
Unfortunately I can't pass you the database, because my client's hosting doesn't allow download it... :cry:
I tried to move the site to my own hosting before, but it is not possible.
I can give you Joomla access and FTP for the current allocation.
(I can email to hosting support, maybe they will pass me the DB, but I don't think they will)
Thank you very much
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:44 am
For now if you can package the files and folders, so I can check them out first, if files are working fine in my testing in my server then at least we can narrow it down to database such as settings or server settings.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 am
Just emailed you the site package
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 am
Its all working fine here.

Tested with 64M php memory limit no problems.
Tested with debug mode on, no problems.

So this leaves either the database or your server config.

For next test please download standard joomla from joomla.org and install it in a subfolder to test next stage.
Please keep an eye on joomla requirements in installation steps.

If above works fine then that means there is a problem in your current installations database data or settings.

Let me know how you get on.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am
Thanks for your help. I think I will try to export the database somehow and try to run this website on my own good hosting. If this works I will finish the webbuilding and then we'll see what to do..
Anyway you helped me a lot, now I know that's hosting config problem for sure.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:15 am
No problem at all, let us know if you need further help.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:22 pm
Ok, finally I found a solution! :D
I moved my site to my own hosting and I got the same problem, but now there was a new error display
Code: Select all
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8589934591 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/xxxx/subdomains/ladies/httpdocs/administrator/components/com_menus/helpers/menus.php on line 184

I started to Google it and found a good solution that worked for me. Here it is:

OK! Joy at last! i believe i have found and fixed the error.

It seems a value in one of my database tables had become corrupted. I do not know how.

In my sites database, inside the "J25_menu" table (J25_ being whatever prefix you have assigned to your tables) the "com_contact" record had an invalid entry in the LEVEL field. It had a value of "4294967295"!?! which was odd as all other records had values between 1 and 3. So i changed the value to "3" and saved the table and then uncommented my previous code hacks and anything now works fine. :o)

My advice is to check your menu tables and see if you can spot a rogue value in there somewhere.

I hope it helps someone
Fresh Boarder