How do I set up Joomla to make it more secure?

Questions related to the configuration of Joomla, Templates, and Security related questions/issues
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:51 am
I found this information so helpful so i though in share it with yours.
Security is a vast and fast-moving subject. No one document can cover it all. This checklist is designed to help you with only two things.
Alert you to important security issues
Point you in the right direction to learn more

Security Checklist 1 - Getting Started
Security Checklist 2 - Hosting and Server Setup
Security Checklist 3 - Testing and Development
Security Checklist 4 - Joomla Setup
Security Checklist 5 - Site Administration
Security Checklist 6 - Site Recovery

Regards
MV
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 am
Hi,

the more you read the harder it become! I installed RSFirrewall to look at how it works. it does have some good tips after you run a scan. make sure you install JoomlaPack and make a backup of your site so you have a starting point if it goes bellie up. also have all the modules you would like use installed first before playing around e.g moving files etc ( like I did ). although it make the site more secure it also make it harder to do things.

The downside is that its costly to purchase this module ( depending of your Exchnage$). by using the trail verson does help in showing the user some of the common areas that are at risk in joomla. there is also a module named Defender that will keep some of the common treats out by blocking IP address etc. anyway the links are there if you would like to have a look at these modules.

you can more - http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/search/security

or http://www.mightyextensions.com/joomla- ... y-firewall

good luck and I hope this helps :)

Dick
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 am
Defender is a good component of which I have installed on many websites. But remember this does not make your site 100% secure but it does keep the script kiddies at bay.

Make sure your .htaccess or htaccess.txt file is configured correctly, but it is recommended to follow Joomla's security guide at the same time to keep on top of security especially their updates!

Regards,
Senior Boarder