Menu and display issue in IE 8

Memovie Joomla Template support forum for Joomla 1.5 only.
GK User
Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am
Hi guys,

It's me again :)
I uploaded the MeMovie template into a new site there few weeks ago. I was very happy with it's design and all but suddenly when I opened it in IE this mornign I was shocked :) The menu looks very bad... it looks like the CSS is not applied? Would that be the case?
Can somebody have a look: capitalstores.ie
Works grand in Safari and Opera...
Thanks,
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon May 17, 2010 1:04 am
Hi, I have the same issue; I like to have this solved soon as an important potential customer is going to visit my site very soon using IE8.

Any help is much appreciated.

Robert
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 am
Yeeeeaaaah Gavick Team help su out here :)
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue May 18, 2010 7:10 pm
mediaex - your page looks for me OK in IE8 but it is strange that your page was loaded defaultly in my browser in the quirksmode.
Administrator

GK User
Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm
It is very strange... because on some IE8 at my work it was OK and on some it wasn't... and what is quirksmode if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks
Junior Boarder

GK User
Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 am
Quirksmode is a specific mode of rendering in IE - it isn't connected with standards. But I don't know why sometimes it starts in IE, sometimes not.
Administrator

GK User
Sat May 29, 2010 12:20 am
Hello, I like to know if there is any progress on this issue on my site; I have given admin rights so I was hoping this would be solved. Haven't heared anything about this and I am considering of dropping Gavick for use on my site. I am sorry to give this reaction, but my site has experienced serious delay in launching and using as a portfolio for potential customers. I have lost income as I can not use the site at this moment. I do not have the confidence that this issue will be solved soon. If I have not received a constructive reply within a week, I will write a official complained to the owner of Gavick and I am considering to claim damages due to lost income.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat May 29, 2010 4:34 am
I had similar problem, unfortuntly need to tell people logging in with IE8 to clean out cache and menu will work and display properly again
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat May 29, 2010 3:02 pm
Hi

I see that you have javascript google-analytics.com/ga.js added on your website and this comes before <!DOCTYPE. According to the standards, nothing should come before the DOCTYPE declaration and opening html tag, not even a comment.
This is not a big deal for other browsers, but ie doesn't accept well. So, try to remove this lines or move them to right position.

Suggestion:
If you want to add your google analytics code to your website, there's no need to change manually to call this javascript. Search joomla extensions directory and you will find lot's of plugins that will make your life easier. You need only to add the code provided by google on the Plugin.

Cheers ;)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat May 29, 2010 3:05 pm
robertmeerding wrote:
Hello, I like to know if there is any progress on this issue on my site; I have given admin rights so I was hoping this would be solved. Haven't heared anything about this and I am considering of dropping Gavick for use on my site. I am sorry to give this reaction, but my site has experienced serious delay in launching and using as a portfolio for potential customers. I have lost income as I can not use the site at this moment. I do not have the confidence that this issue will be solved soon. If I have not received a constructive reply within a week, I will write a official complained to the owner of Gavick and I am considering to claim damages due to lost income.

This not comes from our template. We can't be responsible for change done in our original files or weird behaviours from specific browsers.

Please see my preview post and see if this helps.

Cheers ;)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:53 am
Hi there,

Thank you for you're reply. I am a newby to the whole Joomla thing and my knowledge of php etc is limited; I was not able to find the location of the Google analytics.

I decided to do a fresh install of Joomla (with the MySql database left untouched on the site) and take one step at a time to find the source of the problem.

After the fresh Joomla installation I installed the Memovie template (without the additions in the separate downloadable file) and in Explorer it looked perfect.

However once I installed the photoslide and tabsmanager the original problem was back again. It appears that something in these components/modules are causing the problem.

Please advise.

With regards,

Robert
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 am
Hi

Can I please see Your site?

GK User
Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 pm
hi, the url is www.robertmeerding.nl

do you need admin rights as well?

best regards,

Robert
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 pm
Hi

I'm confussed. Photoslide works fine under IE on my computer. Please discribe Your problem a little better. Attache some screens please.

GK User
Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 am
Hi,

At the moment the site works.

The problem was that the make up of the menu in the header was gone. Only the text of the menu items was visible and this text was compressed to the left side.

This problem happened when I uploaded and made active the Photoslide GK3 and Tabsmanager GK3. This issue was also applicable to the World News template.

I deleted both components/modules and overwrote the CONFIG.PHP with the CONFIG.PHP from a clean Joomla install. The problem was gone.

At the moment (after I have send the previous forummessage and after receiving you're reply) I reinstalled Photoslide GK3 and Tabsmanager GK3. It still works fine.

As soon as the problem reoccurs for some reason I will make some screenshots and show them.
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 am
Hi

Ok. I'll be waiting for any informations on this :)