can you alter the word amount layout

Advanced and professional portal news Joomla template with community features and various content display layouts.
GK User
Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm
Hi, i have my site here http://www.in2town.co.uk and what i am trying to do is. i want the intro to the articles on my home page to have the complete words, what i mean by this is, i want the full paragraph of the introduction instead of words missing and letters missing.

at the moment one of my intro articles says

According to a new report commissioned by Teletext Holidays, nearly a third of British holidaymakers feel ripped off when they are booking their...

when really it should say According to a new report commissioned by Teletext Holidays, nearly a third of British holidaymakers feel ripped off when they are booking their holiday

i think it looks very untidy when you are not able to have the complete paragraph as an introduction.

i have tried using page break but that does not work. I used page break and then increase the characters but this does resulted in bringing words after the pagebreak
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 am
Hi

NSP is stripping all additional html to avoid validation errors, so page break is removed as well. You need to use a different module if You want to use introtext. If You are using K2 than I advice K2 Content module.

GK User
Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 am
teitbite wrote:Hi

NSP is stripping all additional html to avoid validation errors, so page break is removed as well. You need to use a different module if You want to use introtext. If You are using K2 than I advice K2 Content module.

just tried using the module but for some reason not showing any of my images
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:48 pm
Hi

Are images implemented in content or by the add image option ? Please send me an access to joomla panel and tell me where I can find the troublesome module in frontent and backend.

One more thin just came to me. Please check if cache folder in nsp module is writable.

GK User
Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am

Are images implemented in content or by the add image option ? Please send me an access to joomla panel and tell me where I can find the troublesome module in frontent and backend.

One more thin just came to me. Please check if cache folder in nsp module is writable.

going to send you my details as would really love this fixed. what i am trying to do is, to have the module where you can see the picture and then read the introduction instead of having words or letters missing. i would like it where the first paragraph shows to make the page look nice and clean instead of the articles having letters and words missing

many thanks
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:57 am
Hi

Ok. I'm waiting for the access than, but I think it's not the bug which needs to be fix :) it's simply a missconfiguration. If You will select more chars to show and deisable clear HTML than You will see an articles, but displayed with NSP.

GK User
Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Ok. I'm waiting for the access than, but I think it's not the bug which needs to be fix :) it's simply a missconfiguration. If You will select more chars to show and deisable clear HTML than You will see an articles, but displayed with NSP.

did you receive the login details that i sent. would be amazing to get it so it looks cleaner and has the full word and paragraph like the sun newspaper.

thank you for sorting out the bullets for me as well, this is why this is the best template club because you get amazing support
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:43 am
Hi

Sorry but I did not received the access. I've scanned my mails (even spam) and I got 2 access details from previous questions but none of them is working now. I received Your PM with a question like in post above, so please send it to me by PM. It works.

Or use my website contact page. This is working too.

GK User
Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Sorry but I did not received the access. I've scanned my mails (even spam) and I got 2 access details from previous questions but none of them is working now. I received Your PM with a question like in post above, so please send it to me by PM. It works.

Or use my website contact page. This is working too.

cheers just sent it, many thanks for your help
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 am
Hi

Can You please check the access You've send me? I cannot log into the admin panel.

GK User
Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 am

Can You please check the access You've send me? I cannot log into the admin panel.

just resent it via pm
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm
Hi

Ok. I was able to show the content of an introtext (text before pagebreak), but only by using K2 content module. I understand it would be a big trouble to change all module to that now, so I'm going to make an exception and perform a not supported customisation to NSP module. Changing it to display text by a number of paragraphs. This will change the way of displaying in all modules at once. Let me just know the number of paragraphs to display and FTP access.

GK User
Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 am

Ok. I was able to show the content of an introtext (text before pagebreak), but only by using K2 content module. I understand it would be a big trouble to change all module to that now, so I'm going to make an exception and perform a not supported customisation to NSP module. Changing it to display text by a number of paragraphs. This will change the way of displaying in all modules at once. Let me just know the number of paragraphs to display and FTP access.

if it is possible then just the first paragraph but if it is to much trouble or would take to much time or cause problems then it will be fine the way it is. just trying to make the site more tidy like the sun.co.uk where you see all the words and not cut off half way through the sentence
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:30 am
Hi

This is pretty simple, but just as I explained above problem is not the method, but how article is build. It can be perfectly visible on Your site.

Most of articles got an image in first paragraph, than couple of empty paragraphs and finally the text. So even if I take first 3 paragraphs and remove the image to avoid problems with duplication most of articles are not showing nothing at all.

I'm going to disable my code and show You a screenshot.

My code is in templat's /html/_mod_news_pro_gk4 folder. To make it work You just need to rename it to /html/mod_news_pro_gk4 (so remove "_").

It's made to show only first paragraph (I've tried 3, but some articles was very long).

So now it's up to You. If You want to change all articles and move intro to the first paragraph, or to use the old method.

GK User
Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am

This is pretty simple, but just as I explained above problem is not the method, but how article is build. It can be perfectly visible on Your site.

Most of articles got an image in first paragraph, than couple of empty paragraphs and finally the text. So even if I take first 3 paragraphs and remove the image to avoid problems with duplication most of articles are not showing nothing at all.

I'm going to disable my code and show You a screenshot.

My code is in templat's /html/_mod_news_pro_gk4 folder. To make it work You just need to rename it to /html/mod_news_pro_gk4 (so remove "_").

It's made to show only first paragraph (I've tried 3, but some articles was very long).

So now it's up to You. If You want to change all articles and move intro to the first paragraph, or to use the old method.

would it be possible to have two modules, one that does the normal layout and one that does the layout which you have done. one the gk4, i only need the first paragraph showing and it looks great on your image. as what i would do is, i would limit the first paragraph to around 30 words so the layout would not be broken.

i have tried to do this without the alterations, but when i have tried, it always brings in a new word from a new paragraph, so if i said to myself that the first paragraph on each article would be between 30 and 35 words then it would not break up the site.

and reference the k2 content module you were mentioning on another post i have written, that would work with 3 paragraphs with the picture disabled in settings.
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 am
Hi

I will basically need to create a second module from NSP You have right now so one will be using my code and other will be a standard one, so it's rather a big customization.

I think that if You willing to control articles that much and You need it in couple of places only than K2 Content will be a perfect solution :) You will be able to determine an end of the needed text with a page break. And there will be not much work with replacing modules. You just need to remember to have only text in this separated area. Please try and I'll assist if You will have problems with it.

GK User
Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 pm

I will basically need to create a second module from NSP You have right now so one will be using my code and other will be a standard one, so it's rather a big customization.

I think that if You willing to control articles that much and You need it in couple of places only than K2 Content will be a perfect solution :) You will be able to determine an end of the needed text with a page break. And there will be not much work with replacing modules. You just need to remember to have only text in this separated area. Please try and I'll assist if You will have problems with it.

just tried k2 content module again and it is not working for me. i have created the following module

Latest Travel News

i added a page break in the article which i have now removed and not only did it look tidy on the actual article with the line there but also when i looked on the home page it did not work, it just showed the whole article with the line in place.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm

tried k2 content, but the trouble i am getting is as follows. i have chosen no picture but it shows a picture, also it will not show the picture smaller and more importantly, when i have tested k2 content, the words go off the page, so instead of it fitting nicely in the middle, there are words missing. if i can get it to work then for the time being it will work, but i still need to find a module for the other sections of my home page as it looks very messy when you have paragrahs like this as an intro

It is all drama on The Only Way Is Essex and now that drama from the dull and unreal reality show and...

which is missing words. cannot understand all the years joomla has been going that no one has thought of inventing a module that will show the first paragraph to stop all this untidyness
Platinum Boarder

teitbite
Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:00 am
hi

Can You tell me the link to the page I will be able to see this article ? Something must be wrong, because break line is not visible.