is it possible to do this with header

Advanced and professional portal news Joomla template with community features and various content display layouts.
GK User
Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:54 pm
Hi i want to know if it is possible to have a header like the sun where they have the logo on the side and then a google adsense advert next to it.

here is the example http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/britain_got_talent/4283592/Simon-Cowell-and-Amanda-Holden-go-head-to-head.html

my site is here http://www.in2town.co.uk/news/health-for-women/beauty-expert-says-you-can-avoid-common-spring-skin-scares-for-sensitive-skin-sufferers

if it is possible can someone please let me know how i do it

many thanks
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:19 am
Hi,

You can create a new module position and load it in logo block then assign your ads module to there, consult this https://www.gavick.com/forums/postnote/ ... tml#p67691

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 am
Don Lee wrote:Hi,

You can create a new module position and load it in logo block then assign your ads module to there, consult this https://www.gavick.com/forums/postnote/ ... tml#p67691

Cheers,

just read the other post but they are trying to do something different, will it work if i do the same where i can have the logo the same size as the sun site and then have the google adsense at the side. just do not want to mess my site up and follow the other post then find out that i have done it wrong or it is not the right way as they are asking a few questions.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 am

Cheers,

i need a column that will be 735 by 95 and then the next modul which should be next to it, to be the remainder of the width of the site

if you could let me know how to do this where it is in the position of where my logo is now then that would be great
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:59 am
Since you don't have a module position yet available at the head place to display your banners so you need to create one and load it then you will be able to assign your ads modules there, this is the most important thing you have to do. In order to do this, follow the link I've given.

Once you are done with that, you would need some css code to style the modules like changing size, changing background color...etc. If you want to do this you have to have your modules displayed first so me neither to give you an exact css code now.

I hope you understand.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 pm
Don Lee wrote:Since you don't have a module position yet available at the head place to display your banners so you need to create one and load it then you will be able to assign your ads modules there, this is the most important thing you have to do. In order to do this, follow the link I've given.

Once you are done with that, you would need some css code to style the modules like changing size, changing background color...etc. If you want to do this you have to have your modules displayed first so me neither to give you an exact css code now.

I hope you understand.

Cheers,

so i just need to do the below and then contact you, is this correct and then we can get like the sun where they have the logo on the left and then google adsense on the right

Ok now we can create a new module position, let's say "mytop", and load it in that place as well.

Open file: \templates\gk_postnote\templateDetails.xml

Find:

Code: Select all
<position>search</position>

Add before:

<position>mytop</position>

Open file: \templates\gk_postnote\layouts\blocks\nav.php

Find:

<div id="gkToolbar">

Add after:

<?php if( $this->modules('mytop') ): ?>

<div id="mytop">
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="mytop" style="<?php echo $this->module_styles['mytop']; ?>" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:52 pm
Once you have done that, assign your ads module to mytop position and give me the link to your site then I will provide css code to align it.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm
Don Lee wrote:Once you have done that, assign your ads module to mytop position and give me the link to your site then I will provide css code to align it.

the coding you told me to follow is not for the world news template. and i have done the first stage but the second stage it does not have it on the template. here is the second code you said to follow. The code beloe is for postnote.

Open file: \templates\gk_postnote\layouts\blocks\nav.php

Find:

<div id="gkToolbar">

Add after:

<div id="mytop">
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="mytop" style="<?php echo $this->module_styles['mytop']; ?>" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 pm
Hi,

I asked you to consult it but to do exactly the same, because it was another template having different code.

For your template, you can open this file \templates\gk_twn2\layouts\blocks\logo.php

and add the new code to bottom as well.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 am

I asked you to consult it but to do exactly the same, because it was another template having different code.

For your template, you can open this file \templates\gk_twn2\layouts\blocks\logo.php

and add the new code to bottom as well.

sorry but this is all getting confusing, i have gone into the logo.php but there is no such line as <div id="gkToolbar"> for me to add the code after it Code: Select all

<div id="mytop">
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

please can you help me on this. i am using joomla 1.5 and i am getting confused. can you give me the code on this page that i should be adding please.

many thanks
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue May 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Hi,

My previous post was very clear that you do not find the code, ignore it because you are using a different template. You just need open the file and add my custom code to bottom which is (again):

<div id="mytop">
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

If you can't do it yourself, then give me FTP and backend access then I will do for you.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri May 04, 2012 3:01 am
hi done, sent you the log in details. many thanks.

My previous post was very clear that you do not find the code, ignore it because you are using a different template. You just need open the file and add my custom code to bottom which is (again):

<div id="mytop">
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

If you can't do it yourself, then give me FTP and backend access then I will do for you.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat May 05, 2012 3:27 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the PM but you didn't give me FTP access, so how can I check/add the code for you?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks for the PM but you didn't give me FTP access, so how can I check/add the code for you?

hi sent you the admin user name and password did you not get it.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm

hi don just checking if you received my log in details
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Thu May 10, 2012 1:40 pm
Hi friend,

I'm sorry for my delay, I haven't received it yet, can you please manage to send it again via my email? don (at) jschase.com

Thanks,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 am
Don Lee wrote:Hi friend,

I'm sorry for my delay, I haven't received it yet, can you please manage to send it again via my email? don (at) jschase.com

Thanks,

hi just sent it though to your email address

many thanks
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 am
Thank you, I have just received the mail and am gonna check the issue for you right now.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 am
I couldn't find the file logo.php in your template folder, I added the code instead to templates/gk_twn2/layouts/blocks/top.php

Since you use Joomla 1.5 so the code must be a bit different:
<?php if( $this->countModules('donlee')) : ?>
<div id="donlee" class="donlee">
      <jdoc:include type="modules" name="donlee" style="gavickpro" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

(I named it donlee :D)

In file /templates/gk_twn2/templateDetails.xml

I defined a new module position named donlee too.

Now just assign your module to position donlee then you will see it displays at logo place.

You can go to the code to change the name donlee to whatever you want.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat May 12, 2012 1:53 am
Don Lee wrote:I couldn't find the file logo.php in your template folder, I added the code instead to templates/gk_twn2/layouts/blocks/top.php

Since you use Joomla 1.5 so the code must be a bit different:
<?php if( $this->countModules('donlee')) : ?>
<div id="donlee" class="donlee">
      <jdoc:include type="modules" name="donlee" style="gavickpro" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

(I named it donlee :D)

In file /templates/gk_twn2/templateDetails.xml

I defined a new module position named donlee too.

Now just assign your module to position donlee then you will see it displays at logo place.

You can go to the code to change the name donlee to whatever you want.

Cheers,

thank you for this. Is it possible to have a module position next to the new one named donlee. what i would like to do is, to have a google adsense advert the size of 728 by 90 and then in a new module next to it on the left to have the remaining space as my logo and get rid of the long logo at the top of the page

many thanks
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat May 12, 2012 2:23 pm
Now just create an ads module and assign it to donlee position but don't publish it, let me know the module name then I will go to publish it myself and add css code to move it up to stay beside the logo, and please change the current logo to another one smaller.

Let me know when it's done.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun May 13, 2012 10:33 pm
Don Lee wrote:Now just create an ads module and assign it to donlee position but don't publish it, let me know the module name then I will go to publish it myself and add css code to move it up to stay beside the logo, and please change the current logo to another one smaller.

Let me know when it's done.

Cheers,

thanks for sorting this out for me don, you are amazing as always. I have used the module you set up and instead of having two module positions i just used the same module position. i have put the logo and the google adsense advert in the same position and it works fine.

The only thing i have to sort out now which is losing me traffic is sorting out my caching problem. for some reason when i put a new article on my site, i havee to refresh the site to see the article. there seems to be something wrong with the caching system. i may be using a module for caching that is casuing the problem, i am not sure. all i know is, i have had this problem for a few months now, since i tried to make my site run faster.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 am
Hi buddy,

Please manage to upgrade GK Cache plugin to the latest version as we have made a lot of improvements into it recently. You can find this plugin in rest files package which is available in every template download section.

I think it will help you much.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm
Don Lee wrote:Hi buddy,

Please manage to upgrade GK Cache plugin to the latest version as we have made a lot of improvements into it recently. You can find this plugin in rest files package which is available in every template download section.

I think it will help you much.

Cheers,

hi don, i am using joomla 1.5 and i have just downloaded the rest of files but cannot find anything that says gk cache plugin. please advise
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 pm
Oh sorry, I thought you used Joomla 2.5, the development team seems to stop maintaining products for J1.5 because of lacking resource. Please consider to upgrade the site to Joomla 2.5 to get it work better.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm
Don Lee wrote:Oh sorry, I thought you used Joomla 2.5, the development team seems to stop maintaining products for J1.5 because of lacking resource. Please consider to upgrade the site to Joomla 2.5 to get it work better.

Cheers,

hi really do not know how to upgrade from joomla 1.5 to joomla 2.5. the last time i tried upgrading from joomla 1.0 i asked my hosting company to do it and they messed up big time. i could not believe the damage they done. just wished i was more experienced with joomla to do it myself
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm
You really can do it yourself by reading instructions which are posted a lot on the internet. This is official guide from Joomla, read it carefully http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_J ... Joomla_2.5

My 2 cents:

- Backup total your site before upgrading.

- Restore/Install the backup to another place and try upgrading it first before applying to the live site.

- Make sure all customizations to the site are logged.

- If there are any problems, don't hesitate to ask me for help.

Cheers,
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm
hi, i have now updated my site to joomla 3 using your template and i would like to get this donlee position on the new template, can you tell me step by step what i need to do
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 am
Solution should be still the same for Joomla 3 version of the template. I don't work for Gavick now, send me emails if you need further help.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm
Don Lee wrote:Solution should be still the same for Joomla 3 version of the template. I don't work for Gavick now, send me emails if you need further help.

ok cheers, sad to hear you no longer work for them.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:06 am
It had been about 1 year I was away from the forum until a few days ago I bought a membership to join back. Hope everyone still remembers me and finds me helpful here :)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm
Don Lee wrote:It had been about 1 year I was away from the forum until a few days ago I bought a membership to join back. Hope everyone still remembers me and finds me helpful here :)

any chance you could look at my site, the site comes out as very large, but i know the site is big but when i checked the home page before we put anything on it, the template was very large and this is slowing the speed down, for some reason, my site is 1.9mb and it should not be that large.

we updated it from 1.5 joomla to joomla 3 and for some reason the template size is huge. is there anything i can do to reduce the size and also to make it faster.

tried using jch http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ance/12088 but when i activated it, the home page went blank.

this is the tool i have been using for speed test

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cIDdAK/ ... town.co.uk

any help would be great.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 am
As I can see, the site's weight could be reduced if you use less images in the homepage or find some way to reduce images' file sizes. Check out this tool http://www.jpegmini.com/ it helps reduce image file sizes without loosing much image qualities.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 pm
Don Lee wrote:As I can see, the site's weight could be reduced if you use less images in the homepage or find some way to reduce images' file sizes. Check out this tool http://www.jpegmini.com/ it helps reduce image file sizes without loosing much image qualities.

i will try that tool thanks. i found the new template for joomla 3.0 much bigger than the old template for 1.5
Platinum Boarder