Bug in Mobile and Desktop Switcher

Professional Business Joomla template for corporate and business websites suitable for showing stock quotes, up to date news, portfolio management resources or international market data.
GK User
Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 pm
I am using this template on a site. At times, the site doesn't come up normal, instead it has only the name and two buttons and appears to be switched to the mobile version. I have to clear cache and it comes up correctly.

What would cause this?
What do I do to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm
Could you give us URL to your site ? What browser you use ?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 pm
the site is http://www.cocoaautosalvage.com

It happens with different browsers. I use Safari but my customer used IE and their customers have same issue and they use different browsers.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:37 am
Please look here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6620832/Zrzut%20ekranu%202012-10-8%20o%2010.35.49.png I don't see any mobile view on my browsers. Please clear cache and cookie again.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:56 pm
right now it is working correctly. but without warning you don't get the home page on desktop. it has a couple of buttons and says desktop switcher at bottom.

my customer is getting frustrated
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am
I've opened your site again and see default site without any switchers etc.
but without warning you don't get the home page on desktop
could you make a screenshot what warning you talking about ?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 am
Hi - not sure where I've gone wrong on mobile menu, settings?

At one time I could view my site from iphone and all was good. I must have changed something, and it just is not working right. I guess my basic request is, can you point me to helpful read that will takes me through my settings and options. What I really want: simple - my site looks great on all desktop browsers, what's the best way to "mimic" copy, or otherwise create the same look in my iphone use?

I've tried changing the template mobile to both mobile and menu menus, I've tried off and on in various combos in the template settings, no improvements. It originally started when I changed the logo to an image I have instead of the esport image that was default set. I've cleared phone and joomla cache multiple times, didn't help. It's settings on my end I'm sure... Just need to know how to "recover".

Thanks!

golfsgreatheritage.com
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am
Please attach me a screenshot with your 'Layouts' tab configuration.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:11 am
Hi, here some screen shots... I'm stumped, I've tried changing things around (not in the layouts tab though, since the site is great otherwise on desktop and ipad). Look forward to your ideas on it, since I'm totally out of ideas...

Note - when I took the screen shot I had changed it to "main menu", but have changed it back to mobile menu (which is what it was originally when the problem was first noticed). On all test changes I clean the cache from Joomla and from the iphone always.

On the Mobile Tab, I've also tried all "on" too...

Mobile Menu is set for default layout...

Thanks - my site is fully done (except for this). No fun telling people NOT to look at the site on a phone. I don't know if this problem exists on the other handheld devices (I only have access to my iphone to test it, so the problem could be on android, etc)... ipad works great. All browsers work great.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 am
Ok I think I need admin details. Please send me access and remember about link to this forum topic in message. I'm quite sure that you have disabled one of the mobile layouts at the first tab in template configuration.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:28 pm
thanks - just PM'd you...
Expert Boarder

GK User
Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 pm
thanks for taking a look, just letting you know I was able to make it work, had to fiddle with the settings... but all looks great now.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 am
Could you tell me what cause this problem ? The layout settings in template configuration ? or maybe cache issue ?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:26 pm
Just needed to change the Basic Config settings in the template - that finally set it right, I changed all to "default", before it was "Mobile is mobile" android is android" etc... so, just my getting to know how those settings worked. Kind of strange because I thought I had thoroughly gone through everything and tried everything, including default as the choice, but it turned out that was the final piece.

I know it wasn't the cache issue - I still haven't caught up on other things on this venture (non-site stuff)... hopefully will be backing up this weekend and then will update the cache (per our other forum discussion). Will update on that forum item to you then...

btw, you guys (Gavick/Support) are awesome! Thanks!! Really helpful for someone like me trying to learn ground-up and diving in without background... Getting ready to create a cool new aspect of my site :huh:
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 am
Ok, I'm waiting for details , if you have some problem with cache please firstly check configuration. Everything is described at our wiki here >> http://www.gavick.com/documentation/joomla-extensions/extensions-for-joomla-1-6/gk-cahce-plugin/ Good luck :)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:09 am
bkrztuk wrote:I've opened your site again and see default site without any switchers etc.
but without warning you don't get the home page on desktop
could you make a screenshot what warning you talking about ?

he didnt say there is a warning that he can send you
If you read it again youll see he said "Without Warning..." it will show up as mobile version

I understand what he is talking about and have seen the same problem on other Gavik template websites.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 pm
Sorry but I still don't understand ... maybe you can show me this case on some screenshot or live site ?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm
It is still causing the problem. I've attached a screen shot.
Expert Boarder

Konrad M
Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am
@cspub can you attach yor file again ?

GK User
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 pm
here is the screen shot
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Konrad M wrote:@cspub can you attach yor file again ?
Expert Boarder

Konrad M
Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 am
I'm sorry but nothing attached. Please send image to konrad[a]gavick.com, and add link to this topic too.

GK User
Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm
just emailed it to you
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm
Now I'm having same issue on other site using real design.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm
I haven't heard anything back on this and have issue on two sites.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am
I don't get any PM message from you.
Platinum Boarder